Yesterday I was at Cameron House on Loch Lomond with other members of Scotland's 'Tourism Innovation Group' to discuss how this bold objective can be translated into the management of individual destinations and tourism sectors.
The goal is an ambitious one but here are a series of first steps already taken towards that destination.
- Climate Change Scotland - the Tourism Innovation Group's carbon offset scheme for Scottish tourism with the investment remaining in Scotland (the first such national scheme).
- The 4 Bs initiative - Boat, Boot, Bike, Bus - in the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park.
- Cairngorm Mountain - National Centre for the Mountain Environment.
- Carbon Neutral Biggar - Scotland's first carbon neutral village?
- Trees for Life - restoring the Caledonian Forest (Glen Affric forest regeneration, above).
- Visit Scotland's Sustainable Tourism Unit.
- Wild Scotland and its innovative Best Practice Guidelines
to our objectives. Using accommodation with membership of the Green Tourism Business Scheme is now madatory for Scottish Government employees travelling on business.
Please make it mandatory for you too!