Sunday, January 25, 2009

Barack Obama and Robert Burns

It's always irritating to be beaten to a good idea! With the newspapers today packed with the words of these two plain speaking, egalitarian-minded men (today is the 250th anniversary of Burns' birth), it seemed a good idea to link the two. Unfortunately Emma Cowing in the Scotsman got there first.

I have written already of how Abraham Lincoln used to carry a volume of Burns around with him. Indeed I wrote then that Burns' passion for social justice fuelled the US leader's crusade to emancipate African-Americans.

Has President Obama read any Burns? I suspect not, but I think he would enjoy it...


The Tree of Liberty (circa 1789)
Wi' plenty o' sic trees I trow,
The warld would live in peace, man;
The sword wad help to mak a plough ,
The din o' war wad cease, man.
Like brethren in a common cause,
We'd on each other smile, man;
And equal rights and equal laws,
Wad gladden every isle man.

I would like to trawl through President Obama’s Inaugural Address and other speeches looking for parallels but the haggis is smelling good and I am being called on to mash the neeps!
It looks like a good evening. Och Aye. And we’ll tak a right guid willy waught, for auld lang syne.

Happy Burns Night!

1 comment:

Bud Simpson said...

One-quarter way 'round we're making do tonight with American haggis ( ! ) and chips. We'll raise a glass to our friends in the Highlands.

250, indeed. I was nothing more than a wee lad then. [smile] Cheers.